Kenyan Smokie Pasua
Heeeeeeeey Guuuyysss welcome to my channel!!!!!
Smokie pasua is without a doubt Nairobi’s number one street food actually walking along the streets of Nairobi or any other county in Kenya and not spotting a smokie stand is almost as hard as finding a Simba’s Jiko recipe that doesn’t impress! (Just saying)…
Time has definitely changed the way we view smokies especially in the recent years. I remember when they were first introduced in the market say 10 or so years ago, my mother never trusted them she’d tell us that they were made from left over pork factory waste. Its probably true or not true but till today, I’ve never figured out what exactly they are made from and I don’t think I want to. I however have a feeling that maybe she knew how addictive they were and didn’t want us to get hooked.
Anyway, in this segment you get to see how simple it is to make smokie pasua. This snack works well as an appetizer, breakfast or party starter and above all, it will always leave your guests asking when your next barbeque or hangout is going to be.
- 6 pcs Smokies
- 1 Small White Onion - Chopped
- 2 Tomatoes - Chopped
- 1 Bunch Coriander - Chopped
- 1 Juice of 1 Lemon
- Oil for frying
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat and fry the smokies until cooked. Alternatively, place the smokies on a lightly greased baking try and grill in a hot oven for 10 minutes . (You'll know they are ready once they pasuka - split).
- In a separate bowl, mix together Onions, Tomatoes, and Coriander. Once mixed, add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to suite your taste.
- To assemble, "pasua" split the smokies into half being careful not to cut through and fill with the salsa mix.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
- This is the most basic version you could possible make. You can try personalise it or make it to your taste by using your favourite filler. My personal favorite is guacamole or garlic mayo.
Take a photo, post it on your social platforms and tag @simbasjiko with #iamsimbasjiko and stand a chance to win yourself an invite to the next Rooftop Cookout!